10/1/08

My one-on-one with the Social Worker

Tonight I had my private meeting with the Social Worker. (Glenn will meet with her alone next week). It was an interview about my life. She asked many personal questions about my childhood, my teen years, my parents, my brother, my friends, our pets, past relationships, my beliefs. About how I will parent our child, why we're adopting, why now, etc, etc. It was interesting and a little odd. To be telling this stranger all these personal things. But I had no problem opening up and being honest. I'm a very verbose individual anyway, so it was easy. I did get emotional when she asked "What kind of mother was your mom?" Since my mom recently passed away this last May, I felt a wave of emotions remembering how loving and fun she was as a kid. I'm really going to miss having her around as grandma to our children. She was such an affectionate woman. But I will keep her memory alive by telling stories about her for sure.

The whole interview process took an hour and a half. She was very nice but also very serious. It's odd because we did not have a conversation. She asked questions and I answered. I'm used to conversing with people. It was a unique experience. I certainly had to take a moment to think through before answering some of the questions. Which I think is a good process. I feel so confident that Glenn and I will be such great parents. So, I wasn't nervous about the meeting at all. I knew all I could do was just be in the moment, listen and answer honestly, which is exactly what I did.

I'm happy it's done because it's another step closer to having our home study complete. Another step closer to being parents.

Next up, on Saturday we have our class on Trans-racial adoption. Looking forward to it. We had a whole booklet of questions to fill out to prepare for that. More thought provoking ones too.

No comments: