11/1/08

Final Interviews

This is all out of order, since I had my 1-1 interview several weeks ago, and our couple's interview happened about 2 weeks ago now. But just thought I'd be a completist about it.

I was definitely nervous before my personal interview. You never know what questions the social worker is going to ask, even though Angie had already had hers. And there's this internal dialogue going on the entire time as I tried to answer the questions in such a way as to be honest but also positive. I mean, not every day in my life has been honkey-dorey, but what I didn't want to do was dwell on the bad stuff. Instead, I attempted to focus on how I learned or grew from the hard times.

But the couple's interview was much different. Angie and I are in such sync about our relationship and how we plan to raise our child. We were so eager to respond that we had to stop ourselves from talking over each other - but we also had almost exactly the same responses word for word. Of course, when it came time to enumerating each other's strengths, we both got emotional. We're a little bit corny sometimes, I'll be the first to admit. My only hope is that we don't come across as too "pie in the sky" or unrealistic. I think we both know that raising a child is hard work - and raising an adopted child has unexpected challenges that simply don't come up with a biological child. But the truth is, we really are in sync. We often joke that we have such the same taste that either one of us could go out and buy a house, and the other would be very happy with it. Hopefully that comes through to the social worker.

Now our official job is done. The paperwork is in. The social worker is compiling a report which we will review for accuracy, and then will be reviewed by a coordinator (ok, not sure the title, but some sort of supervisor). Then, if all goes well, we're in the system. We were told this could take til the end of November. A little more waiting.

Our next tangible task is the creation of the birth mother letter, which we'll probably share here, or at least part of it.

No comments: